Friday, May 3, 2013

Sick babies

As I said in the last post my parents came at a very lucky time for me. Not so much for them. The day before my birthday Nathan came down with a fever. I kept him home from school and let him relax with the family since they were visiting. As the afternoon went on a cough that he had seemed to get a little worse

On the morning of my birthday he was coughing so hard that he was vomiting. I decided to take him into the hospital to see what was up. The hospital here is very small and unfortunately for me most people don't speak english. There was one doctor that I could speak to so he would come over and translate while he could but we were working with the pediatrician. After several hours a breathing treatment and a shot Nathan went home with what I thought was the flu and a throat infection. He improved quickly but remained pretty weak through the next week.

By the following Monday Andy started coughing at night I worried a little because it had hit Nathan so hard. My parents were still visiting but they were pretty happy to stay close to home. They visited the pool and the beach and helped with the kids. By Wednesday morning Andy had a fever and was looking grumpy. During the morning I had thought to wait for my mom to get up because I had wanted to take her to the local bakery. They would be leaving the next day so I though we would pick something up and then I would take Andy into the doctor. As I was waiting for my mom I realized that Andy was really starting to have a hard time so I decided that I should go right then. Once at the hospital he started to look really worn down and his breathing started to get a little labored. Within and hour Andy went from being sick to being really sick and having a hard time breathing. He was given a breathing treatment but it wasn't helping and he continued to struggle. They decided to get and x-ray and it confirmed that he had phemonia.

I am thankful my parents were around because Jake was several hours away and Nathan was still feeling down and hadn't gone back to school. I was able to get a hold of Jake and let him know what was happening. He made arrangements to come home. It was kind of a crappy situation because I didn't have a way of getting a hold of my parent because they didn't have a Dominican Phone Number I could all so they were stuck wondering what was happening. They didn't find anything out until Jake walked in the door about 6 hours after I left.

I was very thankful for Jake because around the time that Andy was at his worst he arrived. That evening Andy's fever was up above 104 and we were very worried for a few hours. Thankfully it broke around 9:00 and he was able to get some rest. The next morning Andy was doing a bit better. Jake was able to bring by my parents as they left for the airport and then he and Nathan spent a few hours visiting. Pretty much the next few day's it was up and down. Sometimes Andy would be doing great and look like everything was ok. Then he would get a fever or his oxygen sat's would go down. It was a very happy day when we were able to go home from the hospital. I don't ever want to see either of my babies that sick again. As of now the boys are doing well. They both still have a cough but they are doing great.







Well that was a little catch up. I have a few more posts but hopefully that will hold me over for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Yuck! I am sorry you had to go through that! Poor little guys! I am happy they are doing better!

    ReplyDelete