Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Life as we know it...

 

Well we made it. Sorry for the delay in blogging. We are still in transition right now. There are still a few kinks to work out before I can say we are completely settled.

So... where to start... I really don't know what everyone is wanting to hear about so I guess I will give a quick run through of our first couple of weeks. If you have any requests please comment. Otherwise I will only post boring and lame things that will make you stop reading this ;)

Alrighty now...we flew out of Salt Lake on a very late night. The first flight was kind of rough. Andy didn't want to sleep and he ended up crying for a while which was unfortunate. Thankfully exhaustion finally kicked in and he fell asleep for the last few hours of our flight into NY. Once in NY we had just a little time to make our connection. That was stressful but good because once we were on the other plane the boy's both crashed and slept until shortly before we landed in the DR. We flew to Santo Domingo on the south side of the island because we needed to go to the consulate as part of our immigration process. We spent a night in Santo Domingo and then after a busy morning running around town we took a 5 hour taxi ride up to the north coast. This was not my favorite part of the trip but thankfully the kids were still pretty beat from all of the traveling and they slept for over 3 hours of the ride. We ended up in Sousa at a resort where we got to stay until we found our apartment.

For a few days we got to go around and look at beautiful apartments. I seriously felt like we were on an episode of house hunters international. One was huge and beautiful. It was on a private beach and had an infinity pool. The other was nicely furnished and had a large kitchen. Then there was a nice apartment that was in a beautiful community that was a good deal. I have watched that show so many times and wondered what would make them choose one apartment over the other. Well now I know. Though the first place was a total dream it really wasn't kid friendly and we decided that the best place was actually the cheapest. So it was a win win and now I have lived my HGTV fantasy.

Our biggest issue about moving into the apartment was that it wasn't available for a couple of weeks. This was not ideal simply because living at a resort with 2 small kids in 1 room for more than a few days is pretty miserable. Add to that no laundry and no car and you have a grumpy and smelly family. Thankfully our relocation helper Joanne was able to work out a deal with the apartments and get us into a 2 bedroom apartment until our 3 bedroom apartment opens up. In another week we will move into our apartment. We will still be in the same complex just a different place. So though we are here we don't really feel like we can completely unpack and get ourselves settled in.

Once we got into the apartment we spent a day or two getting a few things worked out and going grocery shopping. Once that was taken care of Jake headed off to work (which if you didn't know is 3 hours away and he will be gone 4 day's a week). Lucky for me I wasn't to be alone for long. The morning that Jake left my friend Stacey flew in to stay for a few weeks. Back when we were making the decision to move we knew that this would be a difficult time for me and the kids and we though it would be a good idea to have someone to help me. Lucky for me I have a good friend that was available to come and stay with me for a month. That way I wouldn't be alone. This would turn out to be a fantastic idea because unlucky for me I totally threw out my back this last week and I am on doctors orders not to carry anything heavy...like a baby :) So Stacey has been mommy number 2 for that last few days and I am very thankful for her.

Well there are many other things to share but they will have to be shared another night. Things such as the beach, sand, valentines and buying a car are all soon to come. Also if you want to see more pictures I post to Instagram a lot. I am private but if I know you and you request I will add you. Now to the pictures.

The boy's the day after we got into the apartment.




There are a lot of pretty plants to enjoy here. I may just do and whole post on flowers.



We consider the weekends with Jake to be very important. The major things on our agenda are playing with dad and making sure every moment is spent well. That means lots of swimming and no working.







This is the view from our current apartment. Pretty nice.
 


 
I found this overhead shot online.
 

3 comments:

  1. Uhh.....yes please! I want to come visit you and your cute boys in paradise! It looks amazing Kristy! Can't wait to see more! Love, Mckell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!!! Can't wait to hear more about life in the DR. Good luck settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely!! Your view is gorgeous. I hope you have settled in more and are feeling more comfortable. I hope your back heals quickly!! :)

    ReplyDelete